Our hands are the tools for everything we want to do and unfortunately, they are the most prominent way to pass this nasty virus to other people. If you want to take better care of your hands during this time, we recently chatted to Karen J. Gerrard, Founder SEAMS Hand Cream to find out her top tips.
Think about your hands for a minute they touch virtually everything we come into contact with, they can feel dry, taught, sore and yet more often than not they are forgotten when it comes to skin care. I always go back to the basics when talking about skin care and no so more than with our hands:
- Constant hand washing, anti-bacterial gels dry the hands make sure you use hand cream at least 3-4 times a day. SEAMS Couturiers Hand Cream is full of natural ingredients and non-greasy so you can use it whilst you carry on.
- Try not to touch your face again if you start thinking about your hands you will realise how much they touch your face spreading bacteria.
- Keep nails short – long nails harbour germs underneath.
- Keep cuticles smooth, by massaging in extra hand cream, once cuticles start to split water gets underneath the skin, causing the cuticles to split further and can lead to infection. If you have any hand nails (loose cuticle skin) gently clip back do not pull off.
- Give yourself a palm massage to release tension. Or press your palms together pushing out your hands with the fingertips together. Do this five times to keep your hands supple.
What other self-care can we practise?
Again back to basics, it’s called ‘Beauty Sleep’ for a reason skin heals whilst we sleep. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated outside and in. We have all been advised to keep our throats moist to help stop the virus. Eat healthily – I think we all now appreciate more than ever the need for fresh fruit and vegetables in our diets.
As we are spending more time indoors at the moment should our skin regime change to reflect this?
Yes, go makeup-free let your skin breathe. Cleanse fully even though not wearing make-up. You are at home use, and those products that have been sitting unused on the bathroom shelf.
What are your top 5 skin tips for great skin?
- Drink water to keep skin clear and hydrated. First thing in the morning, drink a cup of hot water.
- Even if you are around the house and not wearing make-up still do a full cleanse and tone on your skin twice a day.
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise as we are all at home there is time to add in some extra moisturising during the day.
- If you buy a product then use it! So many times I hear from friends that they have brought a great new face product but have only used it once or twice! It’s not going to do anything staying in the jar.
- Use a moisturising face mask twice a week, you are at home now so put it on whilst working! Just be careful of going on a skype call – make sure it’s on audio!